Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Horse Update

I have been staying very busy with school plus getting everything ready for the mustang. I was supposed to be training two wild mustangs but the plans got changed, actually for the better. I just didn't have quite enough room for both; & it is alot easier to train them seperately, especially since the gelding can be a bully around the mare. So only the mare was brought down. It has been only a little over a week since she has been here & I am seeing a gradual change in her. She for one thing has to gain some weight and also gain trust in humans. Because she is from the wild, she has never been around humans, so I have to work on building her trust in me before I can actually do anything else. It has been said that this part of the training can take a long time, but once they build the trust, the rest of the training is alot easier & smoother. I have been able to start petting her on her face while she is eating, but she won't let me near her if her head is not in the bucket. And if I sit on the ground she will come up to me & sniff/smell me all over as long as I don't move. I am definitely learning alot of patience, especially since all I want to do is throw a saddle on her & go for a ride ;)- soon :).
But on a bright note for me, I can soon do just that & ride all I want. Starting in a week or two, I am going to be boarding 2 more horses for a lady in my church who is in need of a place to board her horses w/out "abuse." The place where she is boarding them at the moment will not let her horses out in the pasture so they are stuck in the stalls all the time. Plus she is having problems w/ both of her shoulders so she can't do alot with them so she needs help exercising them. Yea, these guys are trained already so I get to ride anytime & really anywhere I want!!! I'm so excited:) I am definitely going to have a busy & fun summer ;)

Here are some pics of her that I took the other day.
By the way, her name is Wyoming. Isn't she pretty!


No comments: